Experience and Awards
2015 Pulitzer Prize for breaking news reporting, with Seattle Times staff
I contributed to the coverage that won The Seattle Times staff the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news reporting in 2015. For more on what that experience was like, read my Q&A with the Las Vegas Sun and UNLV News.
Content Designer – Uber Technologies
September 2021 - present
I lead content strategy and UX writing on the Uber Eats team, advocating for end users of our platform. I collaborate with design, product, and user research teams, helping build the best user experience for delivery and mobility.
Content Strategist and Storyteller – Two Twelve
March 2021 - August 2021
I originated a content role with Two Twelve, a group that specializes in wayfinding and public information design. That included:
- Redefining the nomenclature and content approach for the 40-year-old company, with a focus on acquiring new talent and growing our client base.
- Collaborating with designers, our marketing lead, and the firm CEO to overhaul the website and position Two Twelve as a future-focused company.
- Translate architecture and UX jargon into language that makes sense to and resonates with our clients.
- Working on client projects with the Obama Foundation, Mass General Hospital, and others.
Content Strategist/Site Editor – Metropolitan Transportation Authority
December 2019 - March 2021
I was on the digital services team at the MTA, where we worked to make new.mta.info and the MYmta apps more rider-centric. We were the first in-house team to manage distinct digital products, following a long-established workflow of depending on contractors for this work.
At the MTA, I:
- Worked across the 74,000-person organization to create content that was rider-centered while still being highly accurate, complete, and within legal and compliance standards.
- Wrote and enforced the MTA’s first digital style guide.
- Won over MTA lifers who were very skeptical of change.
- Regularly advised VP-level executives on strategy.
Content Lead – The COVID Tracking Project
May 2020 - May 2021
During my time at The COVID Tracking Project, I:
- Was the organizational linchpin for the design, engineering, research, UX, data, and PR teams.
- Wrote UX copy that was clear, precise, accurate, and consistent.
- Expanded the house style guide and governance process for copy.
- Optimized editing workflows without sacrificing quality.
- Implemented a modular approach to content in the CMS to make publishing faster.
- Strategically audited and reorganized the structure of the website as it doubled and then tripled in size.
Committee Head for the DEI Coalition for Anti-Racist, Just, and Equitable Newsrooms – OpenNews
October 2020 - February 2021
I led a group of 20 people to define and launch dedicated Slack workspaces as part of the coalition’s mission. This included:
- Using emotional intelligence to discuss topics including racism, sexism, and privilege.
- Designing and running meetings and workshops.
- Coordinating asynchronous work.
- Collaborating with three other committee heads.
- Helping build the vision of the coalition.
Production Editor — ProPublica
January 2018 – December 2019
I managed ProPublica’s high-performing story production team, a great joy in my career so far. In that role, I also:
- Managed complex editorial projects that involved every team in the newsroom.
- Oversaw daily story and newsletter production.
- Ran the organization’s editorial calendar and editorial meeting. continually evaluated tools and processes to ensure smooth publishing workflow.
- Assembled cross-team, collaborative groups to execute large editorial projects.
- Worked with ProPublica’s platform team to develop and test new features for the site and CMS.
- Was often described as unflappable, even under non-negotiable deadlines.
- Was the final quality check on ambitious investigations where mistakes were unacceptable.
Lead Producer — ProPublica
March 2017 – January 2018
I supervised ProPublica’s growing team of web producers, ensuring that daily publishing ran smoothly. I also:
- Planned and executed special projects.
- Coached producers on hiring freelance photographers and editors.
- Continued to oversee documentation efforts.
Web Producer — ProPublica
September 2014 – March 2017
In my first role at ProPublica, I:
- Found visuals for and published stories to ProPublica.org.
- Worked with the design director on the general look and feel of the site.
- Selected photos for stories from wire services.
- Created vector illustrations.
- Hired freelance photographers and illustrators.
- Copy-edited stories when time allowed.
Associate Producer — The Seattle Times
August 2012 – August 2014
Being on the Seattle Times digital team is what launched my career in digital products. While I was there, I:
- Handcrafted web headlines and summaries for readability and SEO.
- Selected photos and other visuals to feature on the Seattle Times homepage.
- Taught myself HTML and CSS so I could design and create special layouts for big projects.
- Trained many people throughout the newsroom on digital tools and strategy.
Copy-Editing Intern — The Seattle Times
June 2012 – August 2012
As an intern on the news desk, I:
- Copy-edited stories.
- Wrote headlines.
- Coordinated with the person running the website to make sure web metadata for each story was correct.
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Bachelor of arts in journalism and media studies; summa cum laude
Dean’s list, 2008-2012
- Brian Greenspun and Ned Day Memorial scholarships
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi and Kappa Tau Alpha honor societies